Our teeth are prominent and often taken for granted. As adults, if we lose a tooth, it will not grow back, making it essential to take care of them each day in our life. Taking care of our teeth goes beyond brushing and flossing each day. For example, there are daily habits we may participate in that can also place our teeth at risk for severe dental damage.
Our dentist, Dr. Sarah Frye in Lexington, North Carolina, cares about your smile and encourages you to take good care of your teeth. That is why our office is here to share some information with you on habits that can damage your teeth and is best to avoid.
Here are some habits to avoid that can cause harm to your teeth:
- Chewing on ice can be damaging to your teeth because ice is a tough substance strong enough to crack or chip a tooth.
- Chewing on pen caps puts pressure and strain on your jaw, which can damage ligaments or chip a tooth.
- Eating disorders are dangerous to your health and can cause severe problems to your teeth and gums. If you struggle with an eating disorder, be sure to seek professional help right away.
- Neglecting oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing is placing your teeth at risk for gum disease, which could lead to tooth loss and even bone loss.
- Nail biting strains your jaw and can cause pain in your joints in your future. It is best to avoid this habit to keep your jaw and teeth healthy and strong.
As you can see, these habits can be harmful and cause painful and costly damage that may have been avoided. If you are in need of a dental checkup, or if you have questions about your oral health, please call us today at 336.248.5057 to make an appointment. Our friendly team is happy to talk to you and help your smile stay healthy and strong.